Monday, March 29, 2010

Hip to be squares



Seriously. I have to get rid of all of this yarn that Eddie's mom gave me. Why oh why did I take so much of it? Sure I could donate it, and I probably will end up doing that at some point, but until then I have big plans for this yarn. My plans involve 100+ squares of mismatched goodness, and a neutral gray border that will hold them all together. Yes, it will be the love child of a knitted afghan and a quilt, and it will be made with all kinds of love by yours truly.

Each square is made to accommodate a 19 sts. = 5.5" gauge and they are knit to be approximately 5.5" high. Not all of them are exact, however, and if there is one thing I have learned from my very limited quilting experience, it is that being off by even a fraction of an inch can throw off your whole project. This will surely come back to exact quilting/knitting revenge on me when I put it all together but I will cross that bridge when I get there -- if ever.

See, I need approximately 143 squares (depending on how off I am on my measurements, I may have to cram a few small squares in there to make everything fit), and right now I have 23. For those of you following along, I am 15 percent of the way complete...with the squares. That isn't including the border I plan on picking up all the way around it. It is okay though, I don't plan on finishing the blanket any time soon, and it is the perfect project for bar knitting since everything is done in straight garter stitch.

I will post more photos of my stack o'squares as it grows larger, and of course, when the time comes some photos of me putting it together and picking up the border. Until then, challenge your math skills and your patience by starting a scrap blanket of your own. I know that in the end it will be worth it, if not for me then for someone in my family at Christmas ("Of course the blanket was expensive! No, I didn't use the yarn I would have otherwise donated. Yes, you are welcome.") This is all assuming it is done in nine months.

Meanwhile, over on the sock front. I have managed to turn the heel quite nicely on the striped sock, and I am pleased with the progress I have on this "show and tell" piece for knitting club this week. There is nothing like a cozy wool striped sock as the weather starts to change from 12" of snow to blue skies and sunshine! In fact, that's almost what the color pattern reminds me of. These socks will forever be known as "groundhog socks" marking the transition from the icy blues, to the green and orange colors of the spring. Had the winter weather not lasted until the first day of spring, I never would have had the drive to knit some cozy socks. Thanks Puxatawny Phil!

No comments:

Post a Comment